180 Days of Exercise: AKA Endorphinology 101
I’ve decided to recommit myself to exercise—seriously. So I’m committing to 180 days straight of
exercise (including Christmas and New Year’s), excluding Sundays, which I plan
on making up by adding all the Sundays I’ll miss and tacking them on as extra
weeks to the already projected 26 weeks that 180 days is comprised of. I think I can make myself do a minimum of 20
minutes a day (preferably more), and I’d like a fair share of that exercise to
be running.
I prefer running as an exercise of choice for
several reasons, that until recently, I’d kinda forgotten. I was reacquainted with my fondness for it on
Saturday when Glenn and I ran about 4 ½ miles in order to prepare for a race we
are running this weekend. We had been running semi-regularly throughout the
week, but this was the first time I’d run that far since last fall, when I
decided to wimp-out for the winter at the first sign of cold weather (after
preparing for a half marathon in 2010 I developed a strong aversion to
treadmill running) and I was reminded of how high the payoff is afterward for a
good, long run. Some seven months later
I find myself trying to build back atrophied muscles that I neglected, and I’ve
rediscovered something I already knew but apparently had forgotten: I love running. Ya, it’s hard, especially if you have to
build up withered muscles and lost endurance; and yes, it causes aches and
pains and uncomfortable shortness of breathe sometimes, and ya, there’s a
shameful lack of glory involved for me, personally, because I’m about two paces
removed from snail speed on the runner’s evolutionary chain J; however, the pay off is a nice endorphinic state (I made up that
form of the word, in case you’re wondering ;) ) and a satisfied feeling of
renewed physical strength when it’s over.
Everything just feels better at the end of a good run. Laughter comes more effortlessly, anxiety is easily
sublimated, and self-respect is not found wanting—not to mention the energy and
feeling of overall good health that running promotes.
Running just makes me feel good—physically,
emotionally.
So, I’m committing myself to exercising every
day for 180 days, with a focus on running 3-4 times a week, doing my best to
maintain muscle health with regular strength training on the other days—with a
big, bribing pay-off-carrot at the end, to motivate me along the way. I haven’t decided yet what the reward will be
for accomplishing this goal, but I’m going to track my progress regularly to
keep myself accountable, and if I slip and happen to miss a day, I’ll just tack on another day to the final. And, along the way I’m going to reward myself
with smaller carrots, maybe on a monthly or bimonthly basis. So, if you’ve read this you are now a part of
the accountability factor in this equation, which obligates me to some effort. J My projected finish date is January 19,
2013. If you have any suggestions of fun
ways to celebrate the completion of all 180 days, throw them my way.


1 comment:
Tim has always wanted me to run with him. I've always rejected the idea because it makes me feel shamefully inadequate. Your post is making me rethink this, though. I'm not sure how we could make it work, but I'm reconsidering it. Good luck with your goal! I say new clothes or maybe even new clothes along the way for a vacation to come visit us (yeah, right). Seriously, though, I would totally keep going for a vacation anywhere. :0)
Post a Comment