Weight Loss Tracker

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Making It Happen


So I've finally made it to fifty and my next goal is another fifty by the end of June. And lately I've been strategizing about how to do that. It seems like the first fifty pounds were more easily accomplished because I had concomitant goals that worked for the overall goal. Last fall I set out to ultimately lose 50 pounds, but also to see if I could go a whole year without eating sugar. While the weight loss goal was my biggest desire, I don't think that for me, anyway, I could have lost the weight so quickly or with so much focus, if I had not had the sugar goal. I added a couple other goals to it along the way, such as no fast food for six months. Again, accompanying goals worked to focus my drive in realizing my weight loss goals. So now I'm working on the next 50 and looking to refocus and re-excite my drive by formulating more side goals—or playing with experiments might explain it more adequately. 

So in the tradition of toying with side goals, I've eaten very little meat this week. And truthfully, I started out my semi-vegetarian week by eliminating meat mostly on the basis of laziness; I didn't really have any meat in the house and I was too lazy to go grocery shopping or commit to the kind of cooking that meat usually involves. I've eaten A LOT of spinach and other greens—I love spinach by the way, especially love the way it makes me feel, both mentally and physically. I have no scientific findings to prove my allegiance is justified, but something tells me that an overdose of spinach in my life isn’t going to lower its quality. But I'm starting to get desultory—what I'm trying to say is that my week with minimal meat has kept me losing weight. I've had virtually no red meat and just a little chicken. But I have had a ton of greens and fruits, and my body seems happier.

So I don't know if I'm ready to go completely off meat, but I might be ready to eliminate certain types, and outline a rule for eating only a certain amount of ounces, either daily or weekly. I'm still thinking this through. I'm open to suggestions if you have them. However, I'm also making an exercise goal to work toward this summer that will hopefully work toward my overall weight loss goals. A friend sent me information about a 6 mile run in the San Juan Islands in June. I figure even if I never make it the whole six miles it will be worth it just to work in that direction. So I'm outlining a plan: half a mile by the end of January, a whole mile by the end of February, two by the end of March and then so on until I've got at least 4 by June. http://gil.octopia.com/pages/1868/About-The-Dog-Island-Run/

3 comments:

skye said...

Megan, You are my hero! I'm so proud of you! And you are really starting to inspire me to get off my butt and do what I've been trying to do for years. . . lose weight!! Keep up the great work! :)

lilibet said...

That race looks awesome! ;)

If you're not going to eat meat, spinach is a really good thing to eat a lot of -- it has lots of iron, which is something people who don't eat red meat often are low on, and it has lots of omega-3s, which boost your mood and are excellent for everything in the world, from what I've read. I need to eat more spinach, too! I'm going to eat it every day this week now!

Mindy said...

Good for you! I need to work on improving my fam's eating habits again. I think you should add a goal about about adding beans/legumes and fish if you're cutting back on meat. There are so many terrific vegetarian cookbooks out there too. When I had so much trouble with my stomach, I tried less meat and found this to be so helpful. By the way, soy cheese isn't so bad either and might be a good way to trim back fat.