Weight Loss Tracker

Saturday, November 15, 2008

House Cleaning Government Credit

Okay, so maybe I've gone a little too liberal, but wouldn't it be nice? Just imagine a world where the government was loathe to see your house a mess and doled out a house cleaning credit accordingly. :) I'm not too proud; I'd even wait in line for 'Cleaning Stamps.' I paid a teenager to clean my house today and it was WONDERFUL. I feel like paying to send her future children to college because of it. Hopefully I'll very soon start to become as disconnected from the cleaning process as contemporary food consumers are of the slaughtering, milking and growing processes. :)

6 comments:

lilibet said...

How much did you pay her? I need to look into that.

Mert said...

I was originally planning on paying her $20-25 for an hour to an hour and a half's worth of work. She was a little slower and was here over 2 hours and so I gave her $30, but it was totally worth it, she did a marvelous job. When she comes in two weeks I'm going to be a little more instructive and let her know she doesn't have to be as thorough with the dusting etc. so that it doesn't take her as long.

Amy said...

I love house keepers too. Totally worth it!

Socialism sounds great in theory, but...if she were being paid by the government she would show up three weeks late dust a few shelves, run the vac. for a minutes in the hallway and leave you to clean your own dang bathrooms. Why would she care? She'd still get paid. Right? Socialism doesn't bring everyone up to high quality it drags everyone down to a drab mediocrity. If that.

$15.00 an hour is the bare minimum if you have someone cleaning who doesn't have a green card. $20.00 an hour is the going rate.

Mert said...

Even for a teenager? But you're right socialist cleaning will never do, so I'd better pay her well. Better give her another $10.

lilibet said...

Good point, Amy. I agree.

Mert said...

But actually, I wasn't gunning for socialism. I was looking for charity. :)