Weight Loss Tracker

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mama Mia Mama! Bring on the Melodrama!

A friend just posted the following:
"I spend a lot of my life attempting to avoid situations where people make small talk. As a rule, I generally don't enjoy conversing with anyone I haven't already spoken with on at least 120 previous occasions, which makes acquiring new friends difficult." ( It's actually a great article by Chuck Klostermann examining why people always ask what kind of music you like: http://men.msn.com/articlees.aspx?cp-documentid=5981520&page=1)

The rest of the article discusses how one's musical taste never really tells you as much about their personality as you'd like anyhow. I think you can tell a few things though, like the fact that I love anything melodramatic. Whether it's metal, R&B, alternative or pop--make it melodramatic and you've pretty much got a customer in me. ABBA, Mary J, U2, XTC...really different sounds but equal amounts of melodrama. Melodramatic music is just more fun. It reminds me that my complaints very often are just NOT worth investing much interest in because the sentiments they produce deserve about as much serious respect as the sentiments found in the music I love (music that is dripping with melodrama). That's why I like stuff with nonsensical lyrics too--in the end it serves the same purpose as melodramatic music--makes me take myself less seriously.
One paradox in this theory though--why I can't seem to develop a love for country--isn't country as melodramatic as it gets?

2 comments:

lilibet said...

LOL. Your taste in music is dreadful, it's true. I generally go for musicianship over lyrics, since I can't make them out most of the time. A copula is "to be" when it equates one thing with another, e.g. "the flower is red".
Oh yeah, and no WAY you're not a feeler. I think you might have the same type as Travis. It explains his taste in music, too. ;)

Amy said...

My whole life is waisted in small talk. Even with people I know. Check your email.