Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, April 18, 2008

Plus Size Fuming

Look, so I know this is not an original gripe, but REALLY—is it necessary to shame us big girls 24/7 with the models that are used to advertise our clothing? Especially when these models that are suppose to entice us to buy in our clothing niche are rarely bonafide PLUS-sized women—sometimes blatantly not so. The insult here seems to imply that I can’t be allowed to view someone my size advertising clothes in my size because if I did I probably wouldn’t spend my money. And if I couldn't bear to see a reflection my obesity masked in designer clothing, then of course it must be because FAT inevitably equals revulsion and ugliness—no matter how fine or clever the design or cut (or how nice the fat girl's skin is, or how pretty her hair is...). Maybe we should force thin people to buy their clothes off of tanker-sized models and see if it makes much sense. And in case anyone is getting offended, I'm not blaming thin people, I'm just saying it makes about as much sense to force them to buy clothes advertised by obese models.
If all of the above mentioned things were not enough to tick off sturdy girls, let me just mention that sometimes it appears as if they think that dressing thin models in the actually plus size clothing will be appealing somehow--because I've always wanted to watch someone thin looked drowned by my size. Case in point:http://www.onestopplus.com/clothing/Dream-and-Co-Hooded-fleece-knit-Long-robe.aspx?PfId=110891&DeptId=17672&ProductTypeId=1&from=L

3 comments:

Amy said...

Check out Gabriel Iglesius on watch instantly at netflix. He's funny.

Amy said...

we should figure out instant messaging again.

lilibet said...

It is so weird that they do that with the models. Wouldn't you want to know what the clothes actually look like on you?