So I probably shouldn’t admit this, but I’ve had two sisters on my visiting teaching list for a year now that I have neglected to go see. They are a mother-daughter duo, and I know the daughter from school but don’t get to talk to her much. I remembered the daughter on her birthday, with cookies, and a few weeks ago I left a rock-hard attempt at crock pot baking on their doorstep (it was cement-like brownies and if I had left them closer to a window they probably could have been mistaken for an attempt at vandalism), but I’ve NEVER gone to their home to do monthly visiting teaching.
I have one other sister on my list whom I have visit taught for a few years now, but it has probably been a year since I have gone to see her either. I have seen her in other capacities because we have shared church callings and been walking partners, but let’s just say that if I were a parent responsible for child support payments, the government would have started garnishing my wages at this point.
Today I sucked it up and did my visiting teaching. I even stayed up late last night baking a double batch of chocolate chip cookies to take with me. And after going, I can’t believe I spent so much time catering to my own schedule and comfort levels. I totally enjoyed myself and I got to know some good sisters a lot better (even the one I know pretty well).
I left work today thinking I needed a lobotomy, or therapy, or something to fix me, but I just need to grow up and learn to look outside of myself. In between visits I even took some extra cookies to a great lady I know who recently lost her husband, and it was so therapeutic to think about other people and not myself.
When I was in my mid-twenties I worked with a guy about 10 years older than me, and I remember thinking he had a hard time letting go of the need to protect and bolster the self at all costs. I remember thinking he was kind of selfish and self centered, and thinking he had probably become like that because he was in his mid-thirties and still single, so he was never forced to think about anyone else but himself. Oh the horror of self discovery when I was forced to reckon with the fact that I am not mentally far behind. EGADS!
So, I’m going to make a Quarter Year Resolution and vow to do my visit teaching every month this year.

2 comments:
It's funny how making the call, scheduling the appointment, etc. all feel like such burdens, but then actually making the visit is generally wonderful. I have to constantly teach myself this same lesson throughout my life. I learn it and then slip. Thank goodness for good, patient people around us who are kind enough to let us keep learning it!
I wish I always stayed on track so I woudn't have to feel bad about not visiting. The time slips away and I don't want to call and the kids are sick, etc. But it is a good thing when you actually do it!
Post a Comment