Weight Loss Tracker

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Changing a Mindset & Getting Out of Debt


I hate to admit it but I’ve had some debt for a few years that I’ve wanted to rid myself of but have not made the concentrated effort to succeed. Last year I made an effort to get out of debt, but ultimately I was so focused on my weight loss goals and my ProCert program (I had to go back to school) that I didn’t accomplish much in the debt department. Now that I am pretty much done with the bulk of my weight loss and I am not in classes anymore, I am going to make a new goal for the coming school year:  GET OUT OF DEBT!!!

So, I’m discussing my goal on my blog as a means of holding myself accountable. My first goal for the coming year is to knock off my main debt by the end of February. And, just like my initial weight loss goal, I’m too embarrassed to admit to the number that needs dwindling, but these are the things I’ve committed to do to get rid of it:

• Get rid of internet service (I did it for four months last year and got to bed earlier, and I can check my email at the public library with their free wifi and my laptop.)

• Get rid of Netflix (I haven’t watched anything on it for 3 months anyway.)

• Get rid of Dish (Again, I haven’t watched any TV for 4+ months.)

• Get rid of my gym membership (I can run outside until November and then I can do DVD workouts or do a better job of bundling up.)

• Eat out once a month (Don’t laugh, I’m committed to it—I go to the Golden Fountain with my visiting teachers once a month.)

• Precook/make all lunches on the weekend and freeze/refrigerate. Again, don’t laugh, I said I was committed.)

• With one exception (when I go home for Christmas break), I’m not going to take any road trips out of Othello. And, I’m going to limit myself to a gas budget of $50 a month. Yes, I really think I can do this; I live in Othello for Pete’s sake, when I run out of gas I can walk or bike.

• I’m going to become a Goodwill shopper. Actually Othello doesn’t have a Goodwill, but Moses Lake does. And, I’ve spent enough money on clothes lately to make up for the next 6 months.

• Steal bars of soap from my Mom & Dad this summer in exchange for the work I’m doing on their house. JYes, I’m 35 and just admitted that.

• Make my own 3 month supply of laundry detergent with Elizabeth for $2.

• Start using coupons (Except that I live in Othello and there’s just the Walmart and the Leprekon—yah, it really is spelled that way.)

Okay, now before anyone starts telling me my plan is unrealistic let me just say that I’ve already budgeted for the next two months, made a debt reduction sheet to chart my progress, and plan on making more budgets for the next four months, TODAY. I’m also going to post my progress, via my blog, once a month, courtesy of the public library.

AND, before you schedule an appointment with the optometrist to have your eyes surgically brought back to their front facing position, just remind yourself that I just lost 153 pounds, while not eating sugar for two years, I can do just about anything. J And really, I can do anything for 6 months, especially now that I’ve shifted my focus from one single-minded goal to another. So—circle your calendars—the plan is to make a final post, on February 28, 2012 and announce the completion of my goal. Oh, and if you have any debt reduction ideas/suggestions/recommendations—feel free to throw them my way—just as long as you keep your thoughts about my unrealistic expectations to yourself. J

***Oh, and I almost forgot, as a reward for sticking to my plan and accomplishing my goal, I’m going to gift these running shoes to myself at the end of 6 months. I’ve wanted them for a while now, but they will be even cooler if they are a reward:
 http://www.rei.com/product/810970/vibram-fivefingers-bikila-ls-running-shoes-womens

1 comment:

Mindy said...

We seriously need to sit down and do this. I read an article about reducing debt in the recent Ensign and felt that twinge again. We always think tax return time will get us out and it doesn't. What I hate is that we are not really in debt because of luxury, but we are not prepared for necessity. Thanks for the reminder and good luck with your goals!