Weight Loss Tracker

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Feel Free to Roll Your Eyes…

…I’m talking about weight loss again. So, admittedly I’m obsessed, but on the other hand, I can see the end in sight and I REALLY want to get there. Tunnel-vision is a strategy that works for me and so far it seems to be getting me close to the end.

And frankly, I feel blessed to be in the position to be so assiduously focused on this goal. I look around at people I know who would like to make lifestyle/health changes and it is not always easy when you have dependants to care for. I am fully aware of how lucky I am (right now) to not have little voices complaining that we are eating too many vegetables, or a spouse that really likes his meat and potatoes. I don’t have to avoid the temptation of birthday cake and holiday goodies tramped through my house all the time (because let’s face it, when there’s kids involved, no matter how small the holiday, there is a pervasive aura of candy, everywhere).

Additionally, my time is my own and I recognize that as a blessing, entirely. A couple of weeks ago I made a completely facetious remark to a friend and told her that I knew she envied my single status. I made the comment with the obvious implication that the statement was undeniably UNTRUE, but she said that sometimes she envied my freedom to do what I want with my time. She remarked that she’d seen me running in the middle of the afternoon one day, while she was running errands, and said that if she wants to exercise she has to wake up early, before her kids go to school, or she has to find the energy to do it after they go to bed. So, while I know this friend is more than happy to make sacrifices for her family, I also know that my current place in life has allowed me the convenience to have a pretty distraction-less, narrow focus on weight loss.

So, with all that has been stated above, and because I like to use this blog as a tool for keeping me accountable, I’m publishing a new weight loss goal for 2011: I’m reconfiguring my final goal weight and aiming for 145. For the past year and a half I’ve been working toward 160 pounds, and as of yesterday morning I am 8 pounds away from that goal, but the closer I get to it, the less satisfied I am with that goal. So, my new plan is to lose 23 more pounds and get to 145 by April 30th. And, before anyone starts thinking I’m developing unrealistic expectations of myself, let me just say that any BMI calculator I’ve ever used says  the heaviest I should be for my height is 149. Also, I spent my entire high school career vacillating between 120 and 130; my height hasn’t changed, so I think a 15 pound cushion is a pretty realistic expectation.

Lastly, I want to share my plan for getting a new driver’s license this spring. Yesterday I went shopping in the tri-cities and one of the ladies helping me asked to see my ID (the back of my debit card says, “See ID”), and noticing the difference between my driver’s license photo and my face, she made a comment on my weight loss.  So, by April 30th I’d like to get a new driver’s license and be able to honestly record 145 pounds and take a picture that matches!

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Once I have this baby, I'd like to join you in that goal for 2011. I'd definitely like to be at 145 before the year is over too! I'll look to you as an inspiration.

lilibet said...

The only comments I get on my driver's license are "that's a good picture" and having them squint at me to see how that might have come to be (I don't think it's that great, so I wonder what I look like in real life) and, one time, "you look so young!" when it was taken all of 2 years ago. Maybe I'll get to the point where someone comments on my weight loss. :)