Thursday, March 11, 2010
Unfathomable
I got on the scale this morning and it said that I’m close to 64 pounds down (there were decimals involved). So that sent off an alarm in my brain reminding me that I’ve gotten closer to the halfway mark, and yet, I just can’t wrap my mind around 70 pounds. And when I think about the fact that 70 pounds will soon be gone from my body, I feel heavy (heavy as in ponderous, not my actual girth :) ) thinking about all the work that will have to be expended in order to lose 70 more. Frankly, it makes me want to cry. Especially when I come home exhausted from a long day at work and the kids have been crazy. I do know however, that I would have given up a long time ago if I hadn’t had really nice people giving me compliments, finding some way to muster excited sympathy for my situation every time I report another 2 or 3 pounds gone. I was just telling a good friend the other day that it’s difficult for me to muster genuine excitement when kids frequently solicit accolades from me. And yet, it has been really helpful to have the support of friends and family members, who notice when I lose more weight and seem genuinely happy to hear about 2 more stupid little pounds. My brother Glenn should get an award or something for having to listen to my weekly importuning for compliments regarding every slight, incremental weight loss. I can hardly wait for the summer, not just because it means a break from work, but because it will be a time when I can more fully focus on my weight loss goals and hopefully see more results.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
You can hardly call your weightloss slight when you've managed 70 pounds in less than a year! It might feel that way every week, but you're moving pretty fast.
I know what you mean about dreading the work involved. I keep putting it off because I can't fathom having to do it again. It's hard! You're doing an amazing job!
This is such an incredible accomplishment! When you are telling people about those 2 lbs, just think of all the smiles and compliments you've mustered for every parent you know who's told you about a thousand little "firsts" for their kid(s). lol. 70 lbs is amazing!
Post a Comment