Weight Loss Tracker

Friday, November 13, 2009

Why is the world in love again?...Because They Might Be Giants Played at the Showbox




Why is the world in love again? Why are we marching hand in hand? Why are the ocean levels rising up? It’s a brand new record for 1990. They Might be Giants' brand new album: Flood!




It's true kids, they played their twenty-year-old Flood album and it was GREAT! They were amusing and funny (spent several minutes explaining that Flood had just gone platinum after 20 years but that the RIAA is fickle so people can’t rely on a stable platinum status and sales of the album are still necessary) and they played all their good songs besides. There were also a lot of firsts for me at this concert:





  • First—the fans were hysterical—I don't think I've ever been to a concert where I could hear the fans singing as loudly and as much as the band. And, while I'm sure there were some booze involved in this display, I've never seen such full-throttled, starry-eyed, lyric-devoted, nerdly abandon. It was pretty amusing.

  • It was the first concert I've been to where I've had to stand the entire time—that was actually pretty hard—after 4.5 hours I was ready to trade in my legs for wheels or stumps or anything else that doesn’t involve nerve endings.

  • It was the first concert I’ve attended where superfluous confetti showers rained regularly—to what purpose I can only imagine :) —and I was still finding it in bed and in the shower days later.

  • And lastly, it was the first concert where I looked around and felt my age—I’m pretty sure there weren’t many people under 30 there. The under 30 crowd is probably holding out for Rihanna to come to town. We probably could have held a collective 90’s class reunion right there.

All’s said and done, I would recommend paying the $25 ($35 after Ticketmaster is done jabbing you—such a scam and a half) for 4+ hours of classic alternative tunes, good humor and a night out with friends.

P.S. I wasn't going to use my blog as a weight loss advertisement but I got on the scale this morning and it said I've lost 40 pounds, so I guess I'm going to advertise that. Woo-hoo! 40 down, 110 more to go! If anyone's around on December 31st 2010 I'm having a party to celebrate 150 pounds gone on my 35th and you can come if ya want.

3 comments:

Mindy said...

4.5 hours for $25?! That's amazing! My friend, Rochelle, and I went to a Barenaked Ladies concert a few years back and wanted to stand the whole time. All of the old fogies sat and told us to sit down! ;0)

skye said...

I'M SOOOOO JEALOUS!! The last time I saw TMBG was a few nights before HS grad back in '95, and I have to say that your description sounds exactly like I would describe it. Although I would add, I've NEVER sweated so much in my life as I did that night! :)

And I just saw BNL last month and have to say, the whole audience pretty much sat the whole time. A few people got up for a couple songs, but it was definitely a "older groupies" night! :) Loved every second though!! :)

lilibet said...

Let's qualify that 4.5 hours included an hour of standing outside in the rain beforehand and a half-hour set change. But it was TONS of fun.