
Feeling a little peckish, I was just thinking how meager is my predilection for doing something about it, I mean in terms of 'creating'. The act of purchasing food I have no problem accomplishing; in fact, I'm really quite talented in that realm. My stream of thought naturally ran in a current that wondered how all of my offspring-laden-friends get through the daily mess of measuring, cutting, peeling, heating and cleaning (three times a day, mind you) without ripping their hair out or jumping in front of the next oncoming bus (there's no buses in Othello, fortunately). I can barely care for myself, I
can't imagine being responsible for myself + others. I'm starting to think the answer to this quandary is 'marriage at an early age.' I think at 20 or 21 I'd have had a lot more energy and enthusiasm for the domestic activities described above; come to think of it, I did. I remember cooking real pumpkin and then baking pies, cookies and bread until my oven seemed as if it were experiencing its own Biblical miracle. Now the thought of doing that makes me immediately start fantasizing of hired help. :) Hmmmm...Wonder if I could find any evolutionary scientific evidence to prove my theory...
can't imagine being responsible for myself + others. I'm starting to think the answer to this quandary is 'marriage at an early age.' I think at 20 or 21 I'd have had a lot more energy and enthusiasm for the domestic activities described above; come to think of it, I did. I remember cooking real pumpkin and then baking pies, cookies and bread until my oven seemed as if it were experiencing its own Biblical miracle. Now the thought of doing that makes me immediately start fantasizing of hired help. :) Hmmmm...Wonder if I could find any evolutionary scientific evidence to prove my theory...
6 comments:
Amen, Sister! I'm all for hired help :)
Call me Mr. Bad-Mood Guy
Hmm...let me rethink my will.
I actually did not enjoy the culinary arts when I was single either. Making dishes for one seems like too much work and there's too many leftovers! Now it's fun to discover what my family likes, to learn new techniques, and to add variety to our meals. Plus, making dinner can sometimes be a bit of a retreat - "Mommy's busy. You need to play by yourself for a few minutes." ;0)
I don't know, I think I just don't enjoy the act of cooking. I mean I can do it fairly decently, but I remember one time I had some roommates who wanted me to take turns with them making dinner for everyone and they seemed kind of annoyed when my turn came and I bought a pizza. :)
Kat and I take turns making dinner each night, and I'd say we both equally prefer to just go out somewhere and pay for the privilege of someone else doing the cooking and cleaning.
We just need to figure out how to get them to follow us home and clean the bathroom while they're at it, and we'll be all set.
Post a Comment