Weight Loss Tracker

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Only 6 Basic Colors, But 12 Steps to Mute Them Out of Your LIfe




Does anyone else have trouble choosing which colored shirt, sweater, or skirt to get when ordering from a catalog that offers an array? Hello, my name is Megen and I'm a color addict. Does anyone else feel like buying neutrals is a waste of time, money and creativity? It's been 3 days since my last color fix. Does anyone else feel like most marketing departments count on people like me in order to keep their stock prices up and their families fed? Primary colors were my gateway drug and then I worked my way up to the rainbow. When Benetton puts out a new catalog do you feel as though you could easily sell your mother for a "quick look?" I've been a victim of color advertising for 33 years now. Does anyone else feel like their civil rights are being infringed upon when said catalog reportedly "claims" they only have the next size smaller than yours left in all 5 colors you were going to splurge on (I normally don't spend that much money on clothes, honest)? It started with an experiment in coordinating and ended up in a daily "layering fix."

5 comments:

lilibet said...

LOL. I like the stylized stream of consciousness thing you have going there.

Mert said...

Thanks, I was thinking of you and your apprehension of my coordinating style while I wrote it--all the while with subversive satisfaction. :)

lilibet said...

I love color, too, though, and think that any shade of brown other than rich must be an essential design element of the rings of hell. Maybe the first starts at dark beige and the very last (Satan in the frozen lake and all) is light stone. WHY, WHY do people build wardrobes out of these colors? I personally like a good gray or black accented with bright colors.

I'm sure you did get a kick out of that. :)

Mert said...

Well when we lived at the Miller house everyone always mocked my wardrobe color coordinating combos and when I mentioned that I would have used those colors in art they just laughed at me. I still don't think there necessarily has to be a difference between visual art color combos and clothing color combos, but no one ever agrees with me on that one.

lilibet said...

Well, there doesn't necessarily have to be, but a more unified look makes anyone look more streamlined ... which is what most people want. :)